Written by Bill Teague
Category: Plant Recommendations
Bill Teague's Top Plant Recommendations: Favorite Australian Trees for Southern California.
- Purple-leaf Acacia - Acacia bayliana purpurea
Beautiful lavendar grey colored foliage with purplish new foliage.
- Peppermint Tree - Agonis flexuosa 'Jervis Bay After Dark'
It has deep burgundy foliage, drought resistant and us in any size garden as it is not a huge tree.
- Australian Tree Fern - Cyathea cooperi 'Brentwood'
Dramatic, huge and awesome. Requires very little care. It comes up from a single trunk allowing you to use in restricted planting areas.
- Australian Willow - Geijera parviflora
Fine textured lacy tree that does not get too big and is drought tolerant.
- Sweetshade Tree - Hymenosporum flavum
Does not throw much shade but grows fast and blooms often and fragrant. Drought tolerant.