ad1b126ef01806a118e9278273d84aae

Dwarf Holiday Avocado Tree

More
- #2118 by SamM
I recently purchased a Dwarf Holiday Avocado Tree and someone told me I needed to plant 2 trees to aid in polination. Is this true or are trees sold in nursuries grafted to aid in polination? I live in the San Diego East County but not sure what zone this is.
Last Edit: by SamM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
#2119 by Mitch
Hi SamM,

Do you have a lot of other people living nearby where you live that may have avocado trees? If so you should probably be fine in that you probably have a neighbor with a tree that will pollinate your Holiday. A great resource for Avocados is avocadosource.com/ - it has all sorts of specific information.

I have a Haas avocado I planted about 10 years ago and i had the same question. What they told me in the nursery was to see if you notice any other Avocados in your area (withing a mile or so) and if so then you're probably going to be fine. I drove around looking for Avo's and once i started looking around I saw them All OVER THE PLACE! Probably 40 within my neighborhood. I'm guessing that's the same for you in East County where Avocados LOVE IT.

Good luck and be patient. It took my tree about 4 years before it really started having fruit, now it's like a little gold mine... B)

More
#2155 by walter
This is why Avocados are grafted. If you grow them from seed they are very unpreditable. They may or may not produce fruit, you really never know, if it is from seed. The growers 'graft' all of the tress to a 'sturdy root stock' all of the Holiday variety came from one single tree in its background. Grafting has nothing to do with polination.

More
#2278 by Roz
I've looked on the avocadosource site that you mentioned, but I was wondering if there is a more "reader friendly" source out there, with a list of dwarf avocados that are specific to southern California..?
We are in La Mesa, and I want to choose a dwarf for our front yard.

More
#2356 by tanyad
We bought a dwarf Holiday about 5 years ago. It got to about 10 feet tall and we cut the top because we didn't want it to get taller. I think it was really a semi-dwarf which isn't all that small. Check with the nursery when you buy one. This tree is definitely shorter than a regular size Haas. Tanya

More
#2428 by Roz
Wow, I can't believe 4 years has gone by since I created this post. I want to share our success with our new Dwarf Reed Avocado tree. I went to Kingsman nursery in North County to find this particular type of avocado because I really wanted a dwarf and a friend of mine had given me a Reed from her mature tree. It was buttery and delicious like a Hass, but as big as a softball!
I was instructed to plant it on a "pitcher's mound" and allow every leaf to remain as they fall - this keeps the ground cool and regenerates the soil as they decay. Also, the first year he recommended that we water 3 times per week and then deep water once a week to remove salts from the soil. After the first year we went to twice a week at 10 minutes. The first year we had several flowers and 2 avocados, the second year we had 20...this past year the tree grew by 30% and it has now reached what I hope :) will be it's full height - about 16 feet. There are only 9 avocados this year that we can see so far, but I've heard that avocado trees bear heavy one year and light the next.
Would love to hear input from anyone about trimming it a little for shape..if so when ? and should the branches be supported at all as it bears heavier fruit (hopefully)?
Thanks

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds
Register
Remember Me
Forgot username  Forgot password

Upcoming Events