c94be6a459af7ae97b9340dbbcf9aeb7

Can it grow in a pot?

More
#1076 by erinrebecca
erinrebecca created the topic: Can it grow in a pot?
I just got one of these trees yesterday for our first year wedding anniversary and would like to keep it in a pot for a few years until we buy our own house and can plant it in our yard. How well will it grow and how big of a pot should it go in? Should it start in a smaller pot and then be moved as it grows bigger? I am a beginner in the yard and want to make sure that this tree lives a long healthy life.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
#1242 by walter
walter replied the topic: Re:Can it grow in a pot?
Hello,
Sorry it took so long to see this. I don't come in "The Mulch" that often. I hope the tree is still alive.
Yes you can grow it in a container for a while, but it will slow the growth of the tree some. You did not say the size you purchased, but I think you should try to put it in a 15 or 20 gallon container. (I'm thinking it might be a 5 gallon size) Use a good "Potting Soil" from a bag, not the junky soil in most gardens for best results. Be sure to keep on top of the water, in containers you have to be more careful that they don't get too dry. BUT you don't want the tree to be soggy wet all of the time either. Usually 2 to 3 times a week in summer maybe a little less in winter should work. You sort of have to 'fine tune' your watering schedule, some will depend on the size and also the temperature. A little plant food should keep the new growth happy but they do go through a time when the trees have much browning on the foliage. The sooner you can find a permanent home the happier it will be. But if cared for properly two years is possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Upcoming Events

Sorry, we currently have no events.
View All Events